No upcoming games

Riptide hit the road after double OT loss to the Edge

Riptide hit the road after double OT loss to the Edge

SAINT JOHN – The Saint John Riptide and St. John’s Edge treated the Harbour Station crowd of 1,804 to a little extra basketball Sunday, with the Edge pulling off a 105-101 win in double overtime.

Playing their third road game in four days, the Edge shot 25 free throws to Saint John’s nine, outscoring the Riptide 18-6 from the charity stripe and that proved to the difference.

“It’s a tough one. We found a way to get it to double overtime so I’m very pleased with the guys – a lot of big shots, big plays,” said Riptide head coach Nelson Terroba. “We made a lot of defensive stops and did a good job of Big Baby (Glen Davis) down the stretch.”

Frank Bartley scored 29 to lead the Riptide. Brent Arrington had 18 while Chris Early added 14 points.

Jeremiah Mordi was other other member of the ‘Tide in double figures with 12.

T.J. Maston, seeing court time for only the second time for the ‘Tide, scored six points, blocked six shots and added seven rebounds.

Davis, who played nine seasons in the NBA, led the Edge with 24 points. He went 10-11 from the free-throw line.

Jared Nickens added 23, connecting on seven shots from downtown.

The game was tied at 95-95 after the first five-minute OT.

It was knotted at 83-83 after regulation.

After trailing but as many as 10 points in the fourth quarter, the ‘Tide staged a furious comeback in the dying minutes on the strength of four blocks by Maston that led to easy layups at the other end.

“We definitely had a great defensive effort as a team. I know personally I could have finished better on a couple of layups I had. There were some great passes from my teammates that I could have converted on,” Maston said after the contest.

“I don’t like the outcome of this game but I love how we’re looking so far as a team and the momentum we’re going to carry into the road trip.”

The Riptide saw a four-point halftime lead turn into a 67-63 deficit heading into the fourth quarter.

The ‘Tide led 43-39 going into the break after some first-half fireworks.

With 9:33 to play in the second stanza, Davis got into it with multiple Riptide players after fouling Arrington along the defensive baseline. Both coaches left their benches to gain control of players.

After some posturing and pushing on both sides, Davis was assessed a personal and technical foul, while Riptide centre Randy Phillips was handed a technical.

Saint John led 22-18 after one quarter.

The ‘Tide will now hit the road for five games away from Harbour Station beginning Thursday when they face the Kitchener-Waterloo Titans.

Friday, they travel to Windsor to face the Express. They finish their Ontario swing next Sunday against the Lightning in London.

They return to the Maritimes to face the Island Storm in Charlottetown Jan. 17. Cape Breton Highlanders host the ‘Tide Jan. 19.

Saint John’s next home games are Jan. 23 against the Sudbury Five, and Jan. 24 against Windsor.

Leave a Comment