No upcoming games

St. John’s edges the Riptide at Harbour Station

St. John’s edges the Riptide at Harbour Station

SAINT JOHN – In a battle of two cities known for their high tides and fog, it was the team from The Rock that got on a second half roll, downing the Saint John Riptide 100-93 at Harbour Station Thursday night.

The St. John’s Edge outscored Saint John by 11 points in the second half to earn their ninth win of the National Basketball League of Canada season.

“We waited too long to get on them in the third quarter, giving them too many good looks at threes,” Riptide forward Daniel Dingle said post-game. “It was a tough game but we’ll look at the tape and see what we can do to improve.”

Dingle led Saint John with 19 points. Jeremiah Mordi added 16 points, six rebounds and seven assists for Saint John, which dropped to 3-10 on the season.

Frank Bartley struck for 16 points while Brent Arrington, with 12, and newcomer T.J. Maston, with 10, also scored in double figures.

Desmond Lee led the Edge with 25 points while former Canadian national team member, Junior Cadougan added 24.

The Edge quickly turned a four-point halftime deficit into a five-point lead, going on an 11-2 run to start the third quarter. For the second straight game, Dingle kept the Riptide close, scoring 13 of the team’s 29 points in the quarter.

Dingle, a first-year swingman, used a boxing analogy to explain what the ‘Tide have to do to guard against third-quarter letdowns.

“We’ve just got to be the ones to hit first,” he said. “We’ve got to have that (Mike) Tyson mentality, go after them.”

The Riptide led 42-38 heading into the second half.

Edge forward Glen (Big Baby) Davis, whose nine-year NBA career spanned 610 games, showed off some of the skills that made him a fan favorite during his time with the Boston Celtics.

Davis plugged the middle on defence, displaying quick hands and grabbing seven defensive boards. Listed at 6-foot-9 and 289 pounds, Davis set monster picks and got to the rim twice on deft spin moves, scoring five of his 12 points in the first half. He finished with 12 rebounds, all on the defensive end.

He also picked up a technical foul from the bench and then exchanged some unfriendly banter with a Riptide fan.

It was one of two technicals charged to St. John’s in the half, with head coach Doug Plumb picking up the other.

Saint John led 19-17 after one quarter.

The teams face off again Sunday at Harbour Station. Game time is 2 p.m.

Leave a Comment